An expertly remodeled master bathroom will provide years of pleasure and comfort. But do an amateur job and you’ll be reminded of the fact every day. It’s a tricky space, unfortunately, with lots of moving parts crammed into a tight footprint, not to mention the volumes of water ready to exploit any and all leaks. Here are a few areas of concern:
- Setting a budget and planning ahead - These are two ways to keep your project on track.
- Budget for the unexpected - Hidden water damage is a common problem in bathrooms, whether from a leaky shower pan or running toilet.
- Take care to choose the best sink, countertop and toilet for your space.
- Hide the toilet - A master bath that’s stylish and functional can also be discreet.
- Choose appropriate surfaces - Your master bathroom’s surfaces do more than just contribute to the overall aesthetic. They also take lots of abuse.
- Splurge on the shower - People realize that they could count on one hand how many times they actually used a tub. They now using that space to create larger showers, often with his and her showerheads, body sprays, and even steam generators.
- Consider water efficiency - Showerheads, toilets, and faucets have all become more water-efficient in recent years.
- Make room on the vanity - Since grooming is the main task at the vanity, it’s important to have plenty of surface area to put things down. While the his-and-her double sink configuration has been popular in the past, it often makes sense to have a single sink and more counter space.
- Provide adequate ventilation and light - Moisture not only breeds mold and mildew, it can take a toll on finishes and painted surfaces. A bathroom fan is the best defense. As for lighting, the goal is to bring different layers of illumination into the room. A ceiling fixture is suitable for general lighting, but it will cast shadows on your face when you’re seated at the vanity. That’s why you’ll also want sconces or other vertical fixtures mounted on either side of the vanity. Some medicine cabinets are available with vertical lighting strips. The shower and toilet should also have a dedicated task light, such as a recessed canister light. Consider fixtures that use LED bulbs. Many provided bright, even illumination in my lightbulb tests with the promise of 50,000 hours, though they do cost more. Remember to put the fixtures on dimmer switches so that light levels can be adjusted depending on the mood and task at hand.
A bath remodel is no small undertaking. So before you start tearing up the tiles and picking out the tub, get a little advice from someone who’s made bathroom makeovers their bread and butter.
I am up to Date on Emerging Trends
Through my expertise in space planning, materials and finishes; Renaissance Interior Design integrates the latest design trends that are both practical and stylish. Reflecting the distinct and innate function of the homes and businesses they were created for.
Contact Renaissance Interior Design for Your Interior Design Essentials
Renaissance Interior Design firm is on a mission to bring a fresh perspective of interior design to commercial and residential clients that help them to discover and celebrate the unique aspects of their home and work environments that ultimately enables them to contribute to the unique fabric and beauty of Baltimore Corridor as a whole.